Requirement Overview, Sign-up, and General Information
In order for RSOs to fulfill the Badgers Step Up! (BSU!) requirement, every student organization must have a BSU! Representative. Being an organization’s BSU! Representative entails 2 major responsibilities:
- Fully complete the Badgers Step Up! (BSU!) program and meet the requirement by completing all components of the program:
- Sign-up for a BSU! Session (See below to find the correct sign-up form)
- Complete the online Pre-Assessment
- Sign-in at the BSU! Program
- Attend the entire 2-hour Program
- Complete the online Post-Assessment
- Share the content from the BSU! Program with the rest of one’s organization. Representatives will learn how to teach and discuss alcohol risk reduction with their organizations during the BSU! Program.
In order for New Fraternity & Sorority Life members to fulfill the BSU! requirement, they must complete the 5 components of the program as outlined in the BSU! Representative’s first responsibility.
Note for RSOs: Any representative who completed the program during the Spring 2019 semester satisfied the requirement for 2019-2020 registration! RSOs are required to have a representative complete the BSU! Program annually as part of the requirements to be recognized on campus.
Sign up for a Badgers Step Up! session
Two different Badgers Step Up! sessions are offered by the facilitators; one specifically for Registered Student Organizations (RSO) and one for Fraternity & Sorority Life New Members. Please make sure when signing up for Badgers Step Up! you select the appropriate session.
Follow the correct link below to access all upcoming BSU! sessions. Select the date and time that will work with your schedule and select the “Sign-Up” button. Then select “Submit and Sign up” at the bottom of the page. You will be taken to an additional screen where you will enter your name, email address, and RSO name(s)/Chapter name to confirm the session you selected.
After signing up for a session, the Badgers Step Up! staff will send out individual invitations by email for the pre-test between 24-48 hours ahead of the session. Make sure to complete this pre-test before attending your session.
RSO Badgers Step Up! Session
NOTE: One student can serve as the representative of multiple organizations, but that student is responsible for sharing the information from the session with each organization they represent. The student representative at the time of signing into the presentation must list ALL student organizations they are representing at that time. Additional organizations cannot be added after the session is completed.
New Member Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) Badgers Step Up! Session
NOTE: While there are similarities between the Badger Step Up! program for RSOs and the New Member FSL sessions, it is the expectation that a sorority or fraternity still send a member to one of the general RSO sessions. Only by attending a designated RSO session will the Badgers Step Up! requirement be fulfilled for registering a student organization.
Badgers Step Up! (BSU!) is a student-led 2 hour (with a break) training program. The program focuses on leadership development, bystander intervention, alcohol education, resources, and UW-Madison policies related to alcohol. BSU! has two main goals:
- To increase student-led prevention and intervention in high-risk alcohol situations
- To increase low-risk drinking behaviors on campus through implementation of risk-reduction strategies
Badgers Step Up! Booklet
To review information covered in the Badgers Step Up! Session that you attended or to access any of the activities, scenarios, or resources described in the training, download the appropriate workshop booklet.
Questions about Badgers Step Up?
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions below!
If you do not find the answer there, please complete this contact form and a staff member will get in touch with you shortly:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up for a session?
There is a link to the Sign-Up Genius website above. Here you will find 2 links – one for Registered Student Organization and one for New FSL Members. Please make sure to select the BSU! session that applies to you. You will be transferred to our Sign-Up Genius webpage where you will find all of our current sessions available for session selected. There will be comprehensive instructions on our sign-up webpage. If you need to attend a session for the Student Organization Registration process, make sure you attending an RSO session. If you attending a FSL session, it will NOT count towards your RSO requirement.
What if I can’t make any of the times on the sign-up sheet.
RSO: You don’t necessarily have to be the one who represents your organization! Any UW-Madison student from your organization (who is on the roster in WIN) can attend. The student is responsible for sharing the information from the session with their organization.
New FSL Members: BSU! offers sessions at different times and dates throughout the semester to accommodate as many schedules as possible. We strongly encourage you to sign-up EARLY in the semester for a session. We typically do not offer BSU! sessions for New FSL Members during the last week of classes, finals weeks, or academic breaks.
Do I have to stay for the whole two hours?
Yes. The Badgers Step Up! program includes several modules of content and each module builds on the last one. Not learning all of the modules may lead to incomplete information about the alcohol and bystander intervention content. If you cannot make the whole session, we suggest rescheduling for a session where you can stay the whole time. Or, for RSO members, if you cannot find a BSU! session that fits your schedule, we suggest that you have someone else from your organization be the representative.
If I attend a Badgers Step Up! session, am I done with Student Organization Registration, or do I need to do something else?
You will still need to complete and submit an application and have that application approved. Having a BSU! Representative is just one of the requirements for being a Registered Student Organization (RSO). Check out the Registration 101 section within this Guide for more information about completion of the RSO application process.
What does “program completion” entail?
- Sign-Up for a BSU! session
- Complete the online pre-assessment
- This will be emailed to your @wisc.edu email 1-3 days prior to your session
- If you do not complete the pre-assessment before your session, you will be asked to complete this before the session begins
- If for some reason you did not receive a pre-assessment email, please go to your scheduled BSU! training and let the facilitators know. There are several reasons why this may have happened: 1) There is a typo in your sign-up and the pre-assessment was sent to an incorrect email, 2) You signed up AFTER pre-assessments were sent out.
- **If, by no fault of your own, you do not receive a pre-assessment, we will NOT take your pre-assessment completion into consideration when giving you credit for completing all requirements for BSU!. (In other words, if you do not get the pre-assessment and thereby do not have the opportunity to complete it, you will not be penalized.)
- Sign-In at your scheduled BSU! training and list ALL student organizations you are representing
- It is important that you list all organization you are representing as you sign-in for the BSU! session. You will not be able to add an additional organization to represent after you attend the Badgers Step Up! session
- If you do not sign in at the session we cannot give you credit for attending and you or someone else from the organization will have to attend another session
- Attend and participate in the full 2-hour BSU! session
- Complete the post-assessment
- This will be sent to your @wisc.edu email address within 1 week of your successful attendance at a BSU! session
- Without exception, you MUST complete this to fulfill the requirements of BSU!
If I didn’t receive the pre-assessment-should I still go to the session?
Yes. If for some reason you did not receive a pre-assessment email, please go to your scheduled BSU! session and let the facilitators know. There are several reasons why this may have happened: 1) There is a typo in your sign-up and the pre-assessment was sent to an incorrect email or 2) You signed up AFTER pre-assessments were sent out.
**If, by no fault of your own, you do not receive a pre-assessment, we will NOT take your pre-assessment completion into consideration when giving you credit for completing all requirements for BSU!. (In other words, if you do not get the pre-assessment and thereby do not have the opportunity to complete it, you will not be penalized.)
If someone from my organization attends a session, is my organization done with this requirement forever?
No. Someone from your organization will need to attend the Badgers Step Up! workshop every year. It is an option to attend in the spring semester and have that count for the following fall semester. For example, if a member attends a Badgers Step Up! session in Spring 2019 and lists your organization during sign-in, then your organization will meet the Badgers Step Up! requirement for the 2019-2020 academic year. We highly recommend this, as it will speed up the process of registration for the following year!
If I became my organization’s BSU! Representative and attended a session more than a year ago, do I have to attend another session?
Yes. Staying up to date with BSU! information is an important part of the BSU! Representative’s responsibilities, and this requires that every organization has a representative attend the program each year.
I cannot find records indicating if my organization had a representative attend in Spring 2018. How will I know if a member of my organization has attended a Badgers Step Up session last spring semester?
When you start the registration application for the 2019-2020 year, one area within the application is dedicated to Badgers Step Up!. If a member of your organization has attended (and listed the organization when they signed into the session), your organization’s name will appear in the dropdown menu. If the organization’s name does not appear in the dropdown menu, we do not have record that a member of the organization attended a session in the previous spring semester.
I am part of a Fraternity/Sorority Organization and we had our new member attend a Badgers Step Up! Session, will this meet the RSO Badgers Step Up! session?
No. While there are similarities between the Badger Step Up! program for the Registered Student Organizations (RSO) and the Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) new member session, it is the expectation that a sorority or fraternity still send a member to the general RSO session. Since the new members will be attending the Badger Step Up! session as part of their requirements, we suggest that FSL organizations send a returning member to the session for the RSO requirement. This program could be especially helpful for anyone serving in a safety officer-like role.
More Questions about Badgers Step Up!?
If you have questions regarding Badgers Step Up!, please feel free to contact either:
Center for Leadership & Involvement
Badgers Step Up! Administrative Staff
University Health Services