University of Wisconsin–Madison


Becoming a Registered Student Organization on campus provides a variety of benefits to help a group be successful.  Check out all of these benefits below!

The Wisconsin Involvement Network (WIN) is an interactive website supported by the CollegiateLink software that allows you to identify, organize and coordinate your out-of-class involvement experiences.

WIN combines a directory of all of the Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) on campus with management tools your organization can use to make your group run more smoothly and keep everything in one convenient place. Your organization’s WIN page can work as a website for your group. You can store documents, run elections, post pictures and events, keep track of your roster – and much more.

WIN can also be a tool for you to track your own involvement as a student. You can track your student organization memberships and leadership positions, your service hours, and other student experiences (internships, jobs, etc.). All of your involvement opportunities that are tracked in WIN will then show up in your Leadership & Involvement Record.

WIN also has a new phone application called Corq! You can download Corq and have access to student organization and event information at your fingertips!

Click here to go to the WIN page:

Visit the WIN Trainings and Resources page to learn more.

There are a number of funding sources that typically fund Student Organization events and activities.  Highlighted below are some important Grant policies to be aware of as well as a list of grants available to student organizations.  Check out the Finances page in this Guide for most specifics on each of these grants!

Important Grant Policies

In an effort for the university to be more fiscally responsible, the Chancellor established the Associated Students of Madison (ASM) as the primary funding source for student organization events.

As of October 31, 2014, all Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) will ONLY be eligible for funding from the Global Badger Experience Grant, Multicultural Council Grant (MCC), or the Wisconsin Experience Grant IF:

  1. The RSO has already received an ASM Event Grant for an event that semester, -OR-
  2. The RSO has already applied for an ASM Event Grant for a program that semester and is on the wait list for an ASM hearing, -OR-
  3. The RSO ONLY seeks funding for something ASM cannot fund (e.g. food or a closed event), -OR-
  4. ASM is out of funds for the academic year

Grant Info Sessions

Information sessions for grants will be offered at the following times:

  • Chancellor’s Fund Event Grants | Thursday, September 28 | 5:30pm | Masley Media Room (1st Floor – Red Gym)
  • ASM Event & Travel Grants | Monday, October 9 | 5:00pm | Union South – TITU

ASM Grants

  • Open Fund Grant
  • Operations Grant
  • Event Grant
  • Travel Grant

Chancellor’s Fund Event Grants

  • Global Badger Experience Grant
  • Multicultural Council grant
  • Wisconsin Experience Grant

Additional Funding Sources

  • March to Move Forward
  • Graduate School – Professional Development Grant
  • Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD)
  • Lectures Committee
  • Kemper K. Knapp Bequest Committee
  • Grants Information Center

Once your organization is registered with the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI), you are eligible to reserve University facilities for meetings and events. There are many different types of space, and the procedure and policies change depending on the type.  Check out our Reserving Space page for more information about the benefits and policies related to the locations on campus.

Student Organization Fair

For information about the Student Organization Fair, please visit the Student Org Fair General Information page.

Mass Email to Students

Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) may send one email per semester to all students (or a specific population of students) at a reduced rate of $100. For more information, go to our RSO Mass Email Request Form (also found on the CfLI Homepage).

A couple of important things to note:

  • It takes 8 business days to process requests, so please plan ahead.
  • The cost is $100 and can be paid for by credit card, cash or check to CfLI or a Funding String.  Requests will not be processed until a payment is received.
  • These emails must be plain text only – no graphics, font colors, etc. of any kind.

CfLI Buzz

The CfLI Buzz newsletter is a weekly email sent to all RSO Primary Contacts. Others can subscribe (link at bottom of email) or go to You can also post your own announcements! This communication option is ideal for student organization announcements, training opportunities, upcoming events and reminders.

WIN and Other Campus Calendars

Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) are able to post events on campus calendars as a way to advertise what’s going on with your group.

Wisconsin Involvement Network (WIN)

You can post events in the Wisconsin Involvement Network. You can decide if you want the event to be visible to:

  • Anyone on the WIN site (public)
  • Anyone logged in with their UW NetID and password (campus)
  • Just members of your organization
  • Only people you invite to the event

WIN Event Management and Guidelines

UW Campus Calendar

University Departments and Registered Student Organizations are able to submit an event to the Campus Events Calendar.

University Communications

University Communications produces several high-visibility print and online products used to communicate with the campus community, the news media and other audiences. Click here to submit your news or story idea.

Posting, Chalking, and Leafletting

Registered Student Organizations use a variety of ways to get the word out about organization meetings and events.  If your organization would like to put up posters on campus, chalk announcements on campus, or hand out leaflets to students, please check out this policy page within this Guide for more information.


Obtaining Mailing Lists


For information on obtaining lists of enrolled students including contact information (postal addresses, phone number, and/or email), please see:

Mailing Labels for International Students

If you are trying to contact International students, contact International Student Services (ISS), 217 Red Gym, or by ISS does not provide student information directly to registered organizations due to the confidentiality of information by citizenship, but the office is willing to transfer information electronically from organizations to students. The request should be made at least two weeks before the communication needs to be mailed.

Information by ethnicity and citizenship represents confidential information. Therefore, policies for ensuring confidentiality with respect to information on students of color and international students must be strictly maintained.

University Bulk Mail

To use University Bulk Mail Services, your group must be registered with the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI). Information can be found at UW-Extension Mail Services.

Mailbox Stuffers for RSO Mailboxes Located in the SAC

Mailbox stuffers aren’t allowed for the SAC mailboxes.  If RSOs are interested in posting information about events or programs they can post flyers on the bulletin board next to the welcome desk on the third floor of the SAC.  For further questions about mailboxes and SAC posting policies please contact the Student Activity Center Governing Board.

Using the Campus Mail Service

RSOs and university departments may send mail via campus mail, individually addressed with the individual name (not “current resident”) and the individual’s room number and building name. Businesses, non-profit organizations, non-university departments and other student groups which are not RSOs must send their mail via U.S. mail, individually addressed to a specific student’s name.

Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) may use the Audio/Visual (AV) equipment available in select classrooms at no cost after completion of the required online training.

Reserving a classroom with AV

To reserve a classroom with AV, contact Campus Event Services Office (CESO). At the time of your reservation, please indicate that you need a room with AV and the type of AV needed, as this will affect your room assignment. The Campus Event Services Office has a list of the rooms available to RSOs so they can assist you with which room will work best for your event. Check out this page for more information on reserving space.

AV Equipment Training

In order to be able to access the podium computer, you must complete the online AV Equipment training. Upon completion of this training, you will get a code to log into the podium computer.

Checking out AV Keys

If you only need to use the projector, the code you receive from the AV Equipment Training mentioned previously will give you access. That code is attached to your NetID and you will be held accountable for issues that arise while you are logged in, so please do not share it with others.

However, if you need access to other equipment, such as the DVD/VCR, Microphones, and/or Document computer, you will need a physical key. If you need a key for the cabinet and have completed the AV Equipment Training, come to the Center for Leadership & Involvement (CfLI), on the 3rd floor of the Red Gym, during our Hours of Operation on the day of the event to pick up a key. You’ll be asked to sign an agreement form, assuring that you viewed the training and that key will be returned before CfLI closes the next business day after your event (if the event is on a Saturday or Sunday, it must be returned on the following Monday). If the key is not returned in the manner required, the student organization representative will be held personally liable and subject to monetary penalties and the RSO’s status as a registered student organization, and all of its rights and privileges, may be revoked.

Free Mailboxes

  • If registered student organizations would like a mailbox
    • Apply for one at the Student Activity Center (SAC)
    • Available on a first come first serve basis at no charge
    • Mailbox applications can be found on the SAC Governing Board website
    • RSOs must pick up mail in a timely manner
      • Suggested pick-up time: once per week
  • If you have a mailbox and no longer need or want it:
    • Inform the SAC Governing Board at
  • The Center for Leadership and Involvement is no longer accepting mail for RSOs

Rental Mailboxes

  • The Wisconsin Union has mailboxes available for rent.
  • $10 per semester and summer.
  • For rental information and to sign up, call the Office Manager of the Facilities Office (608)262-4400

The Center for Leadership & Involvement (CfLI) has card scanners available for Student Organization use.

Scanning student IDs at events allows your organization to:

  • Speed up the check-in process. Students only need to provide their Student ID, instead of spending time to write down their name and email. Additionally, this will save time for your organization if you want to transfer this information to an electronic document.
  • Track attendance electronically.  After an event and returning the card scanner to CfLI, the attendance of your event will be provided through WIN (Wisconsin Involvement Network) and by email
    • Tracking attendance in WIN benefits both your organization and your members because the event attendance shows up in the Leadership & Involvement Record in individual students’ WIN pages
    • The Student Organization Representative will also be provided a list of emails of those in attendance after the scanners are returned
  • Send surveys and advertisements to event attendees

How to reserve a scanner:

  1. Create an Event through your organization’s WIN page and have it approved by CfLI.  Click here for instructions on creating a WIN event.
  2. Fill out the Card Scanner Reservation Request form on CfLI’s WIN page at this link:
    1. Note that these scanners are available on a first-come first-served basis and we have a limited number – plan ahead!  Please make sure you receive an approval message from CfLI regarding your reservation request.
  3. On the day of your event, come to CfLI, 3rd floor Red Gym, between 10:00am and 6:00pm to pick up the scanner(s)
  4. You’ll be asked to sign an agreement form when you pick up the scanners assuring that you are aware of the due date and policies.

Card Scanner Policies:

  • Scanners can only be checked out after 10:00am on the day of the event (or on Friday before a Saturday or Sunday event)
  • Scanners are due before 5:00pm on the day after the event (on Monday after a Friday, Saturday or Sunday event)
  • If the scanner is not returned by the due date and time, status as a Registered Student Organization, including all of its rights and privileges, may be revoked
  • If the scanner is not returned by the due date and time, the student who checked out the scanner will personally be charged a fine of $10 per business day
  • If not returned for 10 business days, the unit will be considered lost and the student who checked out the scanner will personally be charged the $200 replacement cost
  • If the unit is damaged, a fine may be assessed up to replacement cost to the student who checked out the scanner

Instructions for Use:

  • Push the button while aiming the laser at the bar code of student’s Wiscard
  • When you hear a beep, the card has been scanned
  • If you do not hear a beep or see the light above the button turn from green to red, track the student in a different way (i.e. signing in by hand)
    • **Note: If the device is not beeping at all, hold down the button for 15-20 seconds and then try again


Note: The Card Scanner will only work for UW-Madison Wiscards. To track attendance for people who are not UW Students, Faculty or Staff (or someone who does not have their Wiscard with them), you may want to provide a sign in sheet.

Registered Student Organizations are able to utilize University Car Fleet Vehicles by following the instructions in the links and information below. The Office of Risk Management has updated their policy on Fleet Vehicle use for Registered Student Organizations. Pertinent policies, forms, and links can be found at the following locations:

Policy on Use of State Owned Vehicles by Student Organizations

Driver Authorization Policy

Driver Authorization Changes – October 31, 2017

Search the Driver Authorization Database

Fleet Vehicle Rental Rates

Some items to note:

  • You need to be an authorized driver to be able to drive or even make a reservation.
    • this approval process takes 10 working days. Plan ahead!
    • Out-of-state license holders will need to upload a driving abstract and a legible copy of their license (front only) via the portal.
      • Please note that some states may charge for this abstract – payment is the responsibility of the individual making the request
      • Processing time may vary for these requests. You are encouraged to complete requests for a driving abstract at least six weeks prior to your anticipated travel date.
  • There is now an official Student Trip Itinerary Form  that must be filled out by your group, approved by the University department that is sponsoring your travel, and submitted to Risk Management before a reservation can be made.
  • Risk Management has provided some helpful guidelines about required numbers of drivers and hours to drive. These will help you plan a safe trip.
  • We recommend going through UW Fleet as their policies are easier to navigate for Student Organizations than the DOA Fleet.
  • If you will be staying overnight at a hotel, motel, residence hall, or other location with which you have an agreement, you must fill out a CSA Travel Registry Form.

A University department may choose to sponsor some or all of a registered student organization’s (RSO’s) events and activities.  A department electing to sponsor an RSO event or activity should ensure that the nature and extent of the sponsorship is clearly understood by both the department and the organization.  In order to sponsor an RSO event or activity, a department must adhere to the following practices:

(Special Notes:  If the student organization is a formal part of University Housing, Wisconsin Union Directorate/Hoofers, Recreational Sports, or other UW department the policies and procedures established by those units must be followed.  If a student organization receives funding through the ASM student government allocation process or other university funding source, additional financial restrictions imposed with that funding must be followed). 

Minimum Requirements

  1. Advisor/Direct Supervision:  A University employee must be appointed to provide “direct supervision” of the RSO program or activity that is being co-sponsored by the department.  The chair of the department and the Dean/Director of the School/College involved must be aware of the appointment.
  2. Liability:  In order for student organization events/activities to have University liability coverage, members of the student organization must be filling the role of an agent of the University.  The member’s agency derives from the direction and control received from the University department and in benefit to the University in fulfillment of the University mission.  Therefore, the advisor shall provide direct supervision of the group’s activities.  Coverage can only be extended to events/activities that correlate with the University mission.  If you have questions about coverage, the risk management office should be consulted.  Recommendation:  It is strongly recommended that the department obtain appropriate review of, and an authorized University signature for, any contracts or legal agreements that pertain to a departmentally sponsored activity of the student organization.
  3. Expenditures:  If your department chooses to sponsor a student organization’s event or activities, state funds may not co-mingle with an “outside” checking account maintained by the RSO.  Any funds controlled by the department to support the RSO’s activities, must be paid directly to the vendor from whom goods/services are purchased on behalf of the RSO activities.  Property purchased with departmental funds for the benefit of an RSO remains the property of the department, not the RSO.  Recommendation:  If your department “sponsors” an RSO, assists financially with their activities, and the RSO has an outside checking account, it is recommended that the outside checking accounts be used primarily to pay for social activities and expenses that the department or other grants will not fund.  It is beneficial for the sponsoring department to pay for any durable goods, such as a personal computer or video camera, to ensure that these items are insured as university property and are available for subsequent groups of students that may be sponsored by the department.
  4. Revenue other than gifts and donations:  Student organizations may receive revenue from sources other than gifts and donations.  Examples include membership fees charged by the organization or sales of goods, such as t-shirts.  If these revenues are earned as a result of an event/activity that is being sponsored or co-sponsored by your department, by state statute, these revenues must be deposited to a university account and then must be expended by your department in support of the student organization to the extent agreed to between your department and the student organization.  If the student organization conducts these revenue-producing activities without departmental sponsorship, the revenue may be deposited to the outside checking account of the student organization or deposited in a university account.
  5. Acceptance of gifts and donations on behalf of the RSO:  Most student organizations are not eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions on their own.  Gifts and donations in support of a departmentally sponsored RSO event or activity are tax deductible to the donor if accepted by a department via the University’s Gift or Gift-In-Kind processes, or designated to the department’s UW Foundation account.  Therefore, if a departmentally sponsored RSO asks a department to accept a donation or gift on its behalf, it will be the decision of the department on whether or not to accept it and whether to accept the gift/donation internally or direct it to the department’s UW Foundation account.  Proceeds from the gift/donation must be deposited into and expended from a University account, even where the gift/donation is accepted by the UW Foundation on behalf of the department’s RSO.
  6. Use of Fleet Vehicles:  University departments may reserve fleet vehicles on behalf of a student organization, only if it is for official University business.  More information can be found in the Car Fleet tab above.

The Student Activity Center (SAC), at 333 East Campus Mall, has cubby spaces, storage lockers and offices for Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) to use. Space in the SAC is given out through a formal application and allocation process. Groups apply for space in the fall and go through an interview and allocation process that ends in early spring semester.

Visit the SAC Governing Board page or email for more information.

The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) offers several free services to students and Registered Student Organizations on campus.

Organizational Email Account

Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) can receive an organizational email address through the Division of Information Technology (DoIT). Email that is sent to the organizational address can be forwarded to up to three student contacts that the RSO designates. Using forwards, designated email contacts for the RSO can respond to the email, but return messages will be sent under the name/address of that student, not the RSO’s address. Organizational email accounts are listed as

The advantage of an organization RSO address is that you can choose an address that reflects your organization and will be easier for members or prospective members to remember. If the primary contact person is using the email software provided by DoIT, it is possible to “filter” messages so that messages sent to the organization address can be stored and retrieved separately from messages sent to the personal address of the primary contact person. For help with filtering, more information on email accounts for student organizations, or to set up an account, contact the DoIT RSO computer support person.

To qualify for a student organization email account, your organization must be registered with CfLI, then provide DoIT the following information on the Email Application Form:

  • Registered Student Organization name
  • At least 1 NetID to link the account to
  • 1 email address to have the account forward to (optional)
  • The display name they would like to have on their email (for example: DoIT RSO Support)
  • What they would like their email address to be (ends in

Email Lists (Wisclist)

WiscList is a self service e-mail distribution list system which enables University of Wisconsin-Madison students to create and maintain their own e-mail distribution lists. This list service allows you to choose one email address that reflects the name of your RSO. All messages sent to this address are distributed to RSO members who appear on a list that is created and maintained by the RSO’s primary contact person. WiscList membership should be kept up to date by the RSO.

RSOs can set up distribution lists to facilitate group communication and information sharing among group members. To set up a list or for more information, contact the DoIT RSO computer support person.

Computer Training Classes

DoIT’s Software Training for Students (STS) can work with you to develop customized software training just for your RSO. There is no charge for this service as long as registered UW-Madison students are the primary learners and there are at least 8 student participants. STS can:

  • Tailor training content to address your RSO’s needs
  • Help you find training space if you have none available
  • Create a course as short as 30 minutes or as long as multiple sessions
  • Offer training in Excel, Access, Dreamweaver, PowerPoint and many other applications

While STS offers many standard computer classes, we also have staff qualified to teach other topics. For information on setting up a special request class for 8 or more students, fill out the web request form, Software Training for Students. If your RSO needs instruction on a subject not listed among our classes, please contact DoIT for more information.

Office 365 Calendaring System

RSOs can use Office 365 to set up membership and other meetings, let the campus know your events schedule, check member calendars, and even reserve a room and equipment for a meeting. Office 365 is the free campus wide email and calendar program that can access the schedules of all UW-Madison students, faculty and staff.

The Leadership Library is located on the 3rd Floor of the Red Gym in the Center for Leadership and Involvement. The library contains numerous books, encyclopedias, and other resources that investigate various leadership topics. The Leadership Library materials and resources are available for use by all RSO members for review or check-out with a valid UW-Madison ID. Staff members at the main desk are always available to help assist with searching and checking out materials.

Check out the Leadership Library Directory